Je est un autre
The January issue of The White Review is a translation issue, edited by Daniel Medin, and features
- Hagoromo by Paul Griffiths
- Letters From a Seducer by Hilda Hilst, trans. John Keene
- Leg Over Leg by Ahmad Fāris al-Shidyāq, trans. Humphrey Davies
- Textile by Orly Castel-Bloom, trans. Dalya Bilu
- The Black Lake by Hella S. Haasse, trans. Ina Rilke
- Three Poems by Antjie Krog
- Son of Man by Yi Mun-yol, trans. Brother Anthony of Taizé
- The Dispossessed by Szilárd Borbély, trans. Ottilie Mulzet
- To Kill a Dog by Samanta Schweblin, trans. Brendan Lanctot
- Vertical Motion by Can Xue, trans. Karen Gernant and Chen Zeping
- Tuesday Will be War by Jáchym Topol, trans. Alex Zucker
- Afterword: Death of the Translator by George Szirtes
The translator wanders into Babel and books himself into a cupboard.
Two languages on the same floor of Babel. – I was here first. – I’m not talking to you. – Keep the music down. – You call that music?
But the gardens of Babel? Who talks about them? Who planted them? Who tended them? cried the translator in his cups, slurring his words.