5. Dublin launch of SUBCRITICAL TESTS, Wednesday 12th July, 7pm-8.30pm, Poetry Ireland, 11 Parnell Sq East, with Ailbhe Darcy and SJ Fowler, and introduced by gorse poetry editor Christodoulos Makris.
4. London gorse showcase + launch for SUBCRITICAL TESTS, Monday 10th July 2017, 6.30-10.30pm, Sun & 13 Cantons, Soho, with readings from Niven Govinden (gorse no. 2), Susana Medina (gorse no. 5), and Colm O’Shea (gorse nos. 2 & 8), followed by a presentation of SUBCRITICAL TESTS (gorse Editions No. 1) by Ailbhe Darcy and SJ Fowler.
3. gorse no. 8 launch 2.0 (The City launch), Wednesday 19 April 2017, 7.30-9.30pm, The Liquor Rooms, Dublin, with readings from the issue by Sheila Armstrong, Sinéad Gleeson, Caitríona Ní Chléirchín, Colm O’Shea, and Dimitra Xidous.
2. An evening of readings from writers working at the boundaries of performance, visual art and poetry whose work has appeared in gorse. Readers: Aodán McCardle (gorse no. 6), Christodoulos Makris (gorse no. 2), Suzanne Walsh (gorse no. 4), Poetry Now, Mountains to Sea Festival, Friday 24th March, 8.30-9.30pm, followed by gorse no. 8 launch (9.30-10.30pm).
15. Some Christmas Lit Thing, with The Penny Dreadful, The Stinging Fly, Banshee, The Pickled Body, Bare Hands Poetry. Monday 19th December, 7.30pm, The Liquor Rooms. Reading for gorse: Aifric Mac Aodha, Irish language editor of gorse. Her first poetry collection, Gabháil Syrinx (The Taking of Syrinx), was published by An Sagart in 2010, and she has had work in various magazines and journals, including POETRY Young Irish Poets. Her new collection Gó won the prestigious Oireachtas prize for a finished collection/collection published in 2016. She has been translated to many languages, including French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Czech.
14. Poetry Ireland Pop Up Christmas Shop, Thursday 8, Friday 9 & Saturday 10 December 2016, 11am-7pm, Poetry Ireland, 11 Parnell Square East, Dublin 1
12. Art+Writing: #3: Structure, with Selina Guinness, Adrian Duncan & Susan Tomaselli, Friday 11 November 2016. 6pm – 7pm, Studio 6, TBG+S.
11. Dublin Art Book Fair, 10-13 November, TBG+S
10. Young Hearts Run Free present No Idle Day, Friday 21 October – Sunday 23 October 2016. Paperback Writer: Saturday 22 October 2016, 5:00 pm – 6:15 pm, Books Upstairs, €10, all proceeds to the Simon Community. Join Joanna Walsh (Vertigo, Tramp Press), and Lara Williams (Treats, Freight Books) read from their hugely acclaimed shory story collections, and discuss the beauty of the short story form, and its enduring power with journalist and broadcaster Mick Heaney. In association with gorse.
9. Art & Writing | 2: DESIRE Art & Writing, organised by Paper Visual Art Journal and Gorse, is a series of conversations between practitioners who work at the intersection of writing and the visual arts. This autumn, three events will take place in Dublin, bringing together artists and writers to present and discuss their work, and exploring the overlaps. #2: DESIRE, Friday 14 October, 2016, Studio 6, Temple Bar Gallery + Studios, Dublin 2. Participants: Emma Haugh and Joanna Walsh
8. The Liquor Rooms Salon Series: Publishing,Wednesday, 5 October, The Liquor Rooms, 7pm-9pm. Participants: Eimear Ryan (Banshee), Declan Meade (The Stinging Fly), Marc O’Connell (The Penny Dreadful), Susan Tomaselli of (gorse).
7. gorse & Paper Visual Arts journal present Art & Writing | Conversation 1 : #IMPRINT, Thursday, 29 September, Studio 6, TBG+S, from 6.30pm-8.30pm. Participants: Christodoulos Makris, Dennis McNulty, and Nick Thurston. A review of the evening can be in University Times.
4. International Literature Festival Dublin, 27 May 2016, secret location. Curated by poetry editor Christodoulos Makris and taking place at a venue disclosed to ticket holders on the evening of the performance, gorse presented four writers whose work has appeared in its pages, and with connections to the audio-visual arts: Kimberly Campanello (gorse no. 4), Maria Fusco (gorse no. 5), Robert Herbert McClean (gorse no. 4), Suzanne Walsh (gorse no. 4).
3. gorse no. 5 launch, 20 April 2016, The Liquor Rooms, Dublin. Featuring D. Joyce-Ahearne, Darragh McCausland, Alan Jude Moore, Nathan Hugh O’Donnell and Eimear Ryan . Event photos by Paula Meds & Sandro Mrowinski.
2. Poems Upstairs: a gorse showcase, in partnership with Poetry Ireland, 6 April 2016, Books Upstairs, Dublin. Featuring Colin Herd (gorse no. 1), Robert Herbert McClean (gorse no. 4) and Doireann Ní Ghríofa (gorse no. 5), and introduced by poetry editor Christodoulos Makris.
1. Dreadful/Stinging/Gorse, in conjunction with The Penny Dreadful, The Stinging Fly, & gorse. Readings from Joanna Walsh (gorse nos. 1 & 3), D. Joyce-Ahearne (gorse no. 5), Dean Browne (PD 2 & 5), Alan McMonagle (PD 3 & 5), Sam Coll (SF Winter 2015-16) and Nicole Flattery (SF Spring 2015, SF Winter 2015-16).
9. Face Forward, a typography conference, DIT Grangegorman, 11–12 December 2015.
8. Dublin Art Book Fair 2015, 19-22 November 2015, TBG+S.
7. Salon Nights at the Studio, 4 November 2015, dlr Lexicon library, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin. Hosted by dlr Lexicon writer-in-residence Selina Guinness, and featuring editor Susan Tomaselli, Claire-Louise Bennett (gorse no. 2) & Joanna Walsh (gorse nos. 1 & 3). [More here.]
6. gorse no. 4 launch, 21 October 2015, The Liquor Rooms, Dublin. Readings from Patrick Chapman, Dominque Cleary, Orla Fitzpatrick, Hugh Fulham-McQuillan, Suzanne Walsh, Jona Xhepa, plus music by Gar Cox. Event photos by Paula Meds.
5. Some Manner of Summer Readings II, a gorse/Penny Dreadful event, 12 August 2015, The Vintage Room, The Workmans’ Club, Dublin. Readings from Sheila Armstrong (gorse no. 3) [pictured], Hugh Fulham-McQuillan (gorse no. 2), Darragh McCausland (gorse no. 3), Alan McMonagle, Michael Naghten Shanks, Jessica Traynor and Alan Jude Moore. Tunes by VJ Sputnik. Event photos by Greg Tea.
4. Some Manner of Summer Readings, a gorse/Penny Dreadful event, 3 July 2015, The Roundy, Cork. Readings from Cal Doyle (gorse no. 3), Elaine Cosgrove, Hugh Fulham-McQuillan (gorse no. 2), Pat O’Connor, Michael Naghten Shanks (gorse no. 3).
3. Remaking it New, a gorse discussion, 29 May 2015, Listowel Writers’ Week, Listowel, Co. Kerry. Featuring Rob Doyle (gorse nos. 1 & 2), Joanna Walsh (gorse no. 1), Christodoulos Makris (gorse no. 2). Presented and moderated by Susan Tomaselli.
2. gorse no. 3 launch, 15 April 2015, The Vintage Room, The Workmans’ Club, Dublin. Readings from the issue by Therese Cox, Cal Doyle, Darragh McCausland, Paula McGrath & Michael Naghten Shanks [pictured]. Event photos by Paula Meds.
7. Dubliners Christmas Book Market, 14 December 2014, James Joyce Centre, North Great Georges Street, Dublin.
6. gorse no. 2 launch, 19 November 2014, The Library Project, Temple Bar, Dublin. Readings from Claire-Louise Bennett [pictured], Dylan Brennan, Rob Doyle, Hugh Fulham-McQuillan, Christodoulos Makris & Colm O’Shea, and an exhibition of the artwork of cover designer Niall McCormack. Event photos by Paula Meds & Dearbhla Leddy.
5. Dublin Art Book Fair 2014, 6th–9th November 2014, Temple Bar Gallery + Studios, Dublin.
4. Yes But Are We Enemies, 25 September 2014, Irish Writers Centre, Dublin. Editor Susan Tomaselli hosted a discussion on collaboration and experimental writing as part of Christodoulos Makris & SJ Fowler‘s Enemies Project. On the panel were gorse contributors Rob Doyle (nos. 1 & 2), Christodoulos Makris (no. 2), SJ Fowler (nos. 1 & 2) and Kit Fryatt of Wurm im Apfel Press. [Part two of the interview.]
3. Circa Words 2014, 14 June 2014, Irish Writers Centre, Parnell Square, Dublin. A Bloomsday experimental fiction festival, with a reading from John Holten (gorse no. 1).
2. Bloom Fringe, 31 May 2014, Lilliput Press, Arbour Hill, Dublin. Partners with Tramp Press, The Stinging Fly, Swan River Press and Lilliput Press, as the Dublin Publishing Cooperative.
1. gorse no. 1 launch, 9 April 2014, Toners, Baggott Street, Dublin. Readings from Desmond Hogan (House of Mourning & Other Stories, A Farewell to Prague, pub. Dalkey Archive Press) [pictured] & Rob Doyle (Here Are the Young Men, pub. Lilliput Press). Event photos by Paula Meds.